How to separate an Excel cell into columns for first & last name
To separate the contents of one Excel cell into separate columns, you can use the Convert Text to Columns Wizard. For example, when you want to separate a list of full names into last and first names...
1. Select the range with full names.
2. Select the column by On the Data tab, click Text to Columns.
3. Once the following dialogue box appears, choose Delimited and click Next.
4. Clear all the check boxes under "Delimiters" except for the Comma and Space check box. Click Next.
5. Make sure the preview at the bottom looks right and that your information was split correctly. Then click Finish.
NOTE: This example has commas and spaces as delimiters. You may have other delimiters in your data. Experiment by checking and unchecking the different check boxes. You get a live preview of how your data will be separated in Step 3 of the Convert Text to Columns Wizard.