Exporting & importing your contacts from Outlook
Some of you may be wondering "OK, I get that I can import my contacts from my CRM or email program into Outstand, which is fantastic! But how exactly do I do that?"
The key is to make sure the Contacts file you get from your CRM or email program is exported into the right format as a CSV (comma separated values) file from the get-go. Follow these steps:
Export contacts from Outlook
You can export contacts from Outlook using the Outlook Import and Export Wizard. You can export contacts to Excel, Access, or Word, and use them in a mail merge or mass mailing. You can also export the contacts data to into a file so you an import them into another email service.
1. Click the File tab. Then click Options.
2. Click Advanced. Then under Export, click Export.
3. The Import and Export Wizard will open automatically. Select Export to a file, and then click Next.
4. Under Create a file of type, select the type of export that you want, and then click Next. The most common is Comma Separated Values (Windows), also known as a CSV file. NOTE: If you are exporting contacts for use in another copy of Outlook, choose an Outlook Data File or .pst.
5. Under Select folder to export from, select the contact folder that you want to export, and then click Next. NOTE: Unless you chose to export to an Outlook Data File (.pst), you can only export one folder at a time.
6. Under Save exported file as, click Browse, select a destination folder.
7. In the File name box, type a name for the file. Click OK.
8. In the Export to a File dialog box, click Next.
9. Click Finish.
Import contacts into Outstand
1. In Outstand, click Contacts. Then click Import Contacts.
2. Choose Generic CSV or vCard.
3. Click Choose File, and select the file you just exported from Outlook. Click Continue.
4. Choose to import your contacts into a Group, or just import them straight into your main Contacts list. Click Continue.
5. Map your columns to Outstand columns.
6. Click Import.
OR watch this handy tutorial:
NOTE: Common problems with importing are that an email address may be in an incorrect format, like not contain an "@" symbol, or first and last names were not placed into separate columns in the original CSV file. Here's how to can do that from an Excel spreadsheet.